Below is an update on the studies required by HB 278:
School Design & Construction Study, DEED
- A request for proposals was issued on Sept. 19.
- Deadline for receipt of proposals is Oct. 27.
- Notice of intent to award is Oct. 31.
- Contract will be issued Nov. 12.
- Contract start date is Nov. 13.
- Contractor work period is Nov. 13, 2014 - May 8, 2015.
- Contractor submits table of contents by March 16, 2015.
- Review & discussion periods:
- May 8, 2015, 5:00 p.m.
- May 22, 2015, 5:00 p.m.
- Contractor final report due June 1, 2015
Salary & Benefits Study, Dept. of Administration
- According to Liz Brooks, the research analyst with the Dept. of Administration who helping to coordinate the development of a proposal for the Salary & Benefits study, the DOA hopes to release details on the study in about a week. She said that DOA welcomes the study "as an opportunity to present a proposal that is intended to improve remote school districts’ ability to employ qualified, experienced, and effective instructional staff." The information they anticipate collecting during the study includes "base compensation schedules for different instructional positions, compensation multipliers for each locality, and a menu-like list of different benefits and their associated costs. Through the use of stakeholder surveys and other means, it is anticipated that [the study] will also evaluate the purpose and value of tenure, in an effort to help the Department of Administration form recommendations regarding teacher tenure policy. The recommendations to the legislature will be provided by the commissioner of the Department of Administration."
Ms. Brooks said that she and Kate Sheehan, director, Div. of Personnel & Labor Relations, DOA, will give a presentation about the department’s plan at AASB’s Fall Conference and Winter Academy. She said they welcome invitations to interact with other stakeholder groups.
Public School Funding Studies, Legislative Budget & Audit Committee (LB&A)
- The LB&A Subcommittee on Education Studies has held several executive sessions for development of a request for proposals for the public school funding studies, most recently on Thursday, October 23. Thursday's hearing was entirely within executive session. No further hearings are scheduled for development of the RFP. Initially the committee intended to have an RFP out for the studies sometime in October, but Laura Pierre, staff to Chair Anna Fairclough, said they now hope to issue an RFP during an LB&A hearing on December 12.